Thursday, February 4, 2010

my muchacha

So here are 1.5 years later and Amber still manages to be the first and last thing I think about everyday. I find myself grasping at straws.. a song comes on the radio we both liked-- it must be her sending me a sign, I dream about her and I convince myself it was her really wanting to hang out. It can be quite pathetic at times, but its all we have. I watched our Senior video over and over just to see clips of her in motion. It seems more real than a picture.
I feel like i should be "better," but what does this entail. We just have to learn to live with this new normal even though most days I am not a big fan of this new life. My life is now defined as "life before Amber" and "life after" and they are drastically different. When she was alive I never realized how important she was to me and how valuable she had been to my life. I can say I am a better person because of her death, but sometimes I feel like Im the only one who has learned a lesson. It is very frustrating. So many people we know are still out their risking their lives and hurting others despite the knowledge that life can be taken so quickly.
I could ramble on for hours about her and for this I am greatful. I like knowing that she will remain on my mind and in my heart for the rest of my life. This has been such a surreal process and continues to be a life lesson. I met a guy whose son had died 19 years ago in a car accident. His son was the only one killed in the wreck. He talked about his son as if he were alive yesterday and the emotions of the wreck came flooding back in an istant. He was crying within in 5 minutes of talking about him. He glowed when he talked about how wonderful he was and became enraged as he thought more about the wreck. It was refreshing to see someon share the same emotions I feel daily. It is a bittersweet thought to think in 19 years I will still be crying and emotional about our loss. This dad said he still thinks about his son first thing every morning and he too grasps onto dreams of him. So us grievers are not alone, even though it often feels like we are.

3 comments:

  1. I started to try and watch the Amber's senior high video some time last week, unsuccessfully. Tonight I sat down and finished it. Like Gosh said, pictures are just more then words. I have a stack full of home movies in the garage that I can't bring myself to watch, I have actually had a staring contest with a vhs tape (it won).

    Watching Amber and Pops walk out onto the football field was so unreal. Her smile. Making him laugh. Make a crappy situation better. I could never those precious moments.

    It will always be yesterday. It will always be hard. I will always ask God why. I will never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete