Tuesday, December 22, 2009

expect much?


This world is full of expectations. People are full of expectations. You're full of expectations.

It wasn't too long in the grieving that I realized people were beginning to expect me to be 'better', that it's about time to be normal again. Soon I realized people's expectations were becoming my own. Days had gone by, then it was weeks, months followed soon behind, and I was still in pain.

I went to my first grief counseling group secession (yeah a year and a half after Amber passed away). Tonight the counselor said something, he told me I can't expect too much out of myself. There is so much pressure on us, to be the people that other people want us to be. So many expectations, some realistic, some not. Expectations do influence who we are as people, but should they? I can't expect that today is the day that I find the new norm. I am where I am. I have to accept that. We have to start accepting people for who they are not who we expect them to be. Maybe then could you see the real new norm.



No comments:

Post a Comment