Saturday, August 22, 2009

Year 1


It's been one year. I went to bed last night thinking about Amber and woke up thinking about her, but something was different this morning. I woke up smiling. Not because I love her any less, but because I still love her. I realized something, for this past year I have literally been obsessed with our loss and doing so I have completely overlooked her life.

When we focus on that one tragic day where she was taken away we miss the thousands of days that we were blessed to have her by our side, the millions of memories that she left us with, the smile that we will never be forgotten. I want this to be my new norm. I want to love more and grieve less. I want to remember what it feels like to laugh and not feel guilty.

Life is full of ups and downs. We are fooling ourselves if we think that downs aren't around the corner; when we think we have found some immunity to pain. But we aren't doing any better when become so focused on downs that we no longer see the ups. The new norm has taught me many things. I want to be able to look at days like today and accept the good with bad. Smile if your happy, cry if your sad, but never quit living she would have never wanted that.

No comments:

Post a Comment