Monday, February 23, 2009

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining


"Sometimes when one person is missing the whole word seems depopulated." ~ Lamartine

These past six months have been the hardest time of my short life. Its been near impossible at moments to continue on. C. S. Lewis said it best, "The act of living is different all through. Her absence is like the sky, spread all over everything." There is no escaping the darkness and pain that loss can make you feel. BUT I am ready to begin my search for the silver lining (well not really but living in the dark is not how life was meant to be). Wolfelt says in Understanding Your Grief, "Still, you are blessed. Your life has a purpose and meaning without the presence of the person who died. It will take you some time and feel this through for yourself."

I hope within these blogs you begin to see a shimmer of light, I hope you can begin to see the silver lining. I hope we can look back at the pictures and think about those memories and smile, I hope you can remember the good times we had and laugh (and maybe cry a little every now and then). Thank you all for your love and support through this time of heartache. Thank you for the encouragement. I know this is a slow process and for those of you walking with I hope you too can someday see the silver lining. "Usually there is not one great moment of "arrival," but subtle changes and small advancements. It's helpful to have gratitude for even small steps forward. If you are beginning to taste your food again, be thankful. If you mustered the energy to meet your friend for lunch, be grateful. If you finally for a good night's sleep, rejoice," Wolfelt.

"What wound wound did ever heal but by degrees?" ~ William Shakespeare

"There is no sudden , striking, and emotional transition. Like the warming of a room or the coming of daylight, when you first notice them they have already been going on for some time." ~ C. S. Lewis

"The essence of finding meaning in the future is not to forget my past, as I have been told, but instead to embrace my past. For it is in listening in music of the past that I can sing in the present and dance into the future." ~ Alan Wolfelt

2 comments:

  1. Ross, I cannot begin to imagine what the past 6 months have been like for you but I want you to know that I pray for you. I have always seen something very special in you. I know your sister was extra special and I also know she was very proud of you. I hope it helps to know that I really love you and will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog through Facebook and the Remembering Amber group that was created. I went to highschool with Amber and have the pleasure of saying she was once my friend. I miss her dearly and my thoughts and prayers have been with your family! I too know what it is like to losing a sibling. My oldest Sister passed nearly 5 years ago, and I am still searching for my "New Normal". Im closer than I was 5 years ago, but I'm still not there.

    May you find strength on your journey!

    ReplyDelete